Book video trailer & author tidbits from ‘This Side of the Grave’ February 14, 2011Posted by Diana McCabe in News.
Tags: Bones, Cat, Jeaniene Frost, This Side of the Grave
The book picks up a few months after events from DESTINED FOR AN EARLY GRAVE. Here’s the book blurb from Amazon.com, and then scroll below for the book trailer and comments from Frost about the upcoming release — Feb. 22 — she made during a recent podcast:
Danger waits on both sides of the grave.
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they’ve triumphed over the latest battle, Cat’s new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance … With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous “ally”–the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war. … to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.
Frost won’t say much about the book but in a recent podcast she did say:
- Vlad is a prominent character in this book. And she is working on a separate novel about him. (Her Twitter feed says 2 books and first release is expected in 2012.)
- Justina is back and readers will be “surprised” by what she’s been up to.
- Chapter 21 of THIS SIDE OF AN EARLY GRAVE is apparently very steamy — akin to Chapter 32 in ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE. (She says that chapter was only one she didn’t have to revise. However, she worried about it because when she wrote it, she didn’t have an agent or book deal and didn’t expect anyone to see it. She was nervous because it was very explicit. Turned out her editor was right to leave it intact, she said.) On reading Chapter 21, Frost’s editor tweeted that it was a good thing she wasn’t a prude. Frost says if she had to sum up Chapter 21 — she’d say: “Cat bites back.”
- She likes giving out deleted chapters/material. One idea she’s toying with now: Should she release a deleted alternate storyline from DESTINED FOR AN EARLY GRAVE, where Gregor could erase Bone’s memories, much as Mencheres did to Cat. She didn’t include it in the book because she realized it deviated from her world building. It went against rules she had in place — that a full vampire wouldn’t be able to do that to another vamp.
- We will find out who the other half-breed is/was. In DESTINED FOR AN EARLY GRAVE, Bones and Gregor told Cat she wasn’t the only half-breed. Frost says the half-breed is a recognizable historical figure — but won’t say if that figure is alive in the book or dead.
- Book No. 5 takes readers to Ohio, New Orleans, Memphis, Tenn., and Garland, Texas.
- Book No. 6 is titled ONE GRAVE AT A TIME.
Want an early glimpse of book No. 5? CLICK HERE to go to Frost’s website where she has 20 percent of the book posted. (I haven’t checked it out yet!)
And here’s her video trailer for THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE.